Horrific injuries of teen, 19, blinded after egg cooked in microwave explodes in her face
A teenager was left blinded in one eye when an egg she was cooking in the microwave “exploded” in her face.
Courtney Wood, 19, a care assistant from Newcastle-under-Lyme, suffered horrific injuries and temporary blindness to both eyes following the accident on Boxing Day morning.
Courtney Wood, 19, suffered horrific injuries after an egg she prepared in a microwave exploded in her faceBPM Media
Recalling the frightening incident, Courtney told the Stoke Sentinel: “I had put some bacon under the grill and then I put an egg in a jug with a bit of water – as I have done before – and popped it in the microwave for a minute.
“The microwave didn’t ping so I took the egg back out, popped it on the side and checked on the bacon.
“When I turned back towards the jug the egg exploded in my face.”
Courtney called a friend who then drove her to A&EBPM Media
Courtney, who lives by herself, sprinted to the bathroom in agony and splashed cold water on her face.
She then called a friend who arrived straight away and drove her to the Royal Stoke University Hospital.
Doctors told her the burns wouldn’t cause any permanent damage but said she had scratched the surface of both her corneas.
Courtney said: “The sight in my right eye came back within 48 hours but I still can’t see properly out of my left.”
The 19-year-old is warning other people to be aware of the dangersBPM Media
MOST READ IN NEWS
REAL Housewives of Cheshire’s Dawn Ward plans to turn her £14.5million mansion into a luxury spa and her neighbours are not happy. The interior designer and ex-Premier League footballer husband Ashley are looking to transform Warford Hall into a “boutique spa retreat”. Dawn wants to transform her mansion into a spaCheshire East Council / Triangle
Tragic Borders minibus smash victim named by cops as six remain in hospital
Frantic loved one's plea to find missing Ayrshire man last seen three days ago
Scots mum in horror smash as car run into ditch by tourists on wrong side of road
Fire at Scots flat sees 23 firefighters tackle flames as one rushed to hospital
Man stabbed and teen rushed to hospital after violence outside Glasgow pub
WHERE IS HE?
Search for missing Ayrshire dad Bryan Kirk sparks huge police activity
The 19-year-old, who has been staying with her mum Tracy since the incident, added: “Doctors have told me the sight in my left eye may not be restored for a week or maybe even longer.
“This was the worst pain I have ever suffered. It was horrific.
“I would hate anyone else to have to go through what I have been through.”
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.