Hatton Garden ringleader released for Christmas after serving just half of his seven-year sentence over £14million heist
A HATTON Garden heist boss spent Christmas at home after he was released from prison having served half his sentence.
John “Kenny” Collins was back in his ex-council house after three-and-a-half of his seven year term, according to the Mirror.
Louis Wood – The Sun Hatton Garden heist gang member, John Collins, spent Christmas at home after spending just half of his seven year sentence[/caption]
The blundering criminal, 78, famously fell asleep while on lookout for police during their audacious scheme to rob £14 million worth of diamonds.
Last month he was out on licence from Belmarsh prison in South East London.
He was spotted coming out of a branch of Tesco with a newspaper.
The crook was among four men dubbed the Diamond Wheezers caged after the raid in central London in 2010.
Holes bored through a half-metre thick concrete wall drilled to access a vault in a safe deposit centre in Hatton GardenAFP
Refer to Caption John is the richest of the Diamond Wheezers, with a personal fortune close to a £1million[/caption]
Only four of the convicted gang members are in jail – but millions of pounds worth of jewels are still missing.
Collins’ release was slammed by former Met Police chief Peter Kirkham.
He said: “We are talking about lots of victims.
“Some of them have lost everything, their livelihoods as jewellery dealers and some may not have been insured.
“It can destroy people’s lives and the maximum sentence available to the judge was only 10 years. This is inadequate for top end burglaries with so many victims.”
Collins seen on CCTV walking past Hatton Garden jewellers
Professional job… How the Hatton Garden heist was executed
PA:Press Association Only four of the convicted gang members are in jail – but millions of pounds worth of jewels are still missing[/caption]
Collins spent Christmas with family and pals in Islington, north London, according to reports.
He could face seven more years inside if he doesn’t pay up on a confiscation order, including half the value of his £820k home and almost £1million from his nine bank accounts.
The OAP raiders – all with a combined aged of 442 -were last week collectively ordered to pay back £8.2 million following the safe deposit centre break-in.
Collins, 77, Daniel Jones, 63, and Terry Perkins, who are all serving seven years, and Brian Reader, 78, who is serving six years and three months were each told they would have to spend another seven years behind bars if they didn’t cough up.
Diamond wheezers… John Collins, Daniel Jones, Terry Perkins, (bottom row left to right) Carl Wood, William Lincoln and Hugh DoylePA:Press Association
The hesit was made into a film, King of Thieves, starring Michael CainstudiocanalUK
Perkins died in prison aged 69, just one week after being ordered to repay around £6.5 million in missing cash.
Jones is the only member in jail, after being held for three extra years for burglary.
Carried out over the Easter Bank Holiday weekend, the motley crew entered through a lift shaft and made their way to the basement where they used heavy cutting equipment to gain access to the outside of the 1940s vault.
A diamond-tipped drill was then used to bore through the 20in-thick reinforced concrete wall.
MOST READ IN NEWS
Workman stuns commuters by tucking into full English breakfast on the London Underground
Thursday February 13, 2020
HUNGRY workman stunned fellow commuters by getting on the Tube balancing a full English breakfast and a cuppa. The bloke, thought to be a builder, got on the Victoria line from Stockwell at around 7am on Tuesday where he proceeded to eat his tasty brekkie from the china plate. The workman ate a full English
The post Workman stuns commuters by tucking into full English breakfast on the London Underground appeared first on W88vn.
Celtic WAG Helen Flanagan defends co-sleeping with daughter, 2
Once inside the gang ransacked 73 safe deposit boxes, containing jewellery, gems and gold with an estimated value of just under £14 million before escaping in a waiting transit van.
Most of the gems have still not been recovered and are feared to have been leaked onto the black market and sold abroad.
The robbery was made into a film starring Sir Michael Caine.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368. You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.